1. Welcome to the MIT Hive website (the “Site”). By accessing this Site, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions which MIT may revise at any time. You are encouraged to visit this page periodically to review current terms and conditions, as your continued use of this Site signifies your agreement to these term and conditions. If you do not understand or do not agree to be bound by these terms and conditions, please exit this Site immediately.
2. Your use of this Site is entirely voluntary. By using the Site, you understand and acknowledge that the Site may include unmoderated forums containing the personal opinions and statements of individuals unaffiliated with MIT who post entries on a wide range of topics and issues. MIT has the right, but not the responsibility, to monitor the Site, including, without limitation, comments, chat rooms, message boards and forums. MIT reserves the right to refuse to post, or to remove, any information or materials, in whole or in part, that is in violation of the Terms in its sole discretion. MIT is not a publisher of user-generated content on the Site, or of any content that may be available through it, and, with regard to such content, is acting solely as an Internet service provider (47 U.S.C. § 230(c)(1)). Neither MIT nor any MIT-affiliated entity screens, approves, reviews or endorses any such content. If you feel you might be offended by the consent of the Site, you should not continue.
3. MIT respects your privacy. We do not collect personally identifiable information about you unless you voluntarily provide it. You do not need to provide any personally identifiable information to access the Site, but certain aspects of the Site may not be accessible without such information. Our primary aim in collecting personally identifiable information is to provide you with the best educational experience possible. By "personally identifiable information," we are referring to (1) data that uniquely identifies you or permits us to contact you, such as your name, email address, mailing address, phone number; (2) other information that we collect through the Site and combine and maintain in combination with that personally identifiable information, such as your area of interest; educational and employment background; and (3) your participation and use of the Site. Among other things, MIT may use the personally identifiable information that you provide to respond to your questions; send you information about MIT events; send you information about Site maintenance or updates; and for all appropriate MIT administrative and research purposes. Except as set forth herein or as specifically agreed to by you, MIT will not disclose any personally identifiable information we gather from you on the Site to any third parties.
4. MIT respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe a user of the Site is infringing your copyright, please provide written notice to MIT by emailing email@example.com. You agree that if a third party claims that any material you have contributed to the Site is unlawful, you will bear the burden of establishing that the material complies with all applicable laws.
5. In consideration for access to and use of the Site, you grant to MIT the right to reproduce, distribute, translate, and modify any photographs, videos, text, or other information (the "Materials") uploaded to the Site by you for any educational or non-commercial purposes in print or electronically, royalty free, including the right to distribute the Materials via the Site.
6. You acknowledge, understand and agree that you are entirely responsible for the Materials you upload to the Site. By uploading pictures or audio visual recordings, you agree that you hold all applicable copyrights and to have previously obtained a valid release from each person included in your Materials. This includes cases in which a parent, a guardian or another authorized person should read, agree and sign the appropriate release.
7. MIT is committed to maintaining a safe and respectful community where Users can share their thoughts, opinions and ideas openly. When using this Site, you agree to use respectful language, be courteous to fellow Users and respect the opinions of others.
8. You agree to use the Site in accordance with all applicable laws. You are responsible for your own communications, including the upload, transmission and posting of information, and are responsible for the consequences of their posting on or through the Site. You further agree that you will not email or post malicious or harmful content anywhere on the Site or on any other MIT computing resources or engage in any of the following behaviors:
- Content that defames or threatens others.
- Harassing statements or content that violates federal or state law.
- Content that discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
- Content that is not your own, or infringes another’s intellectual property including, but not limited to, copyrights, trademarks or trade secrets.
- Material that contains obscene (i.e. pornographic) language or images.
- Advertising or any form of commercial solicitation or promotion, including links to other sites.
- Content that may constitute partisan political activity.
- Content that is otherwise unlawful.
- Intentionally incomplete, misleading or inaccurate content.
9. ”MIT", "Massachusetts Institute of Technology", and its logos and seal are trademarks of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Except for purposes of attribution, you may not use MIT’s names or logos, or any variations thereof, without prior written consent of MIT. You may not use the MIT name in any of its forms nor MIT seals or logos for promotional purposes, or in any way that deliberately or inadvertently claims, suggests, or in MIT’s sole judgment gives the appearance or impression of a relationship with or endorsement by MIT.
10. NEITHER MIT, ITS AFFILIATES, TRUSTEES, DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES AND AGENTS SHALL HAVE ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, COMPENSATORY, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (EVEN IF MIT HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES) ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE USE OF THE SITE, CONTENT, AND/OR COMPILATION.
11. You agree to defend, hold harmless and indemnify MIT, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and employees from and against any third-party claims, actions or demands arising out of, resulting from or in any way related to your use of the Site, including any liability or expense arising from any and all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys’ fees, of every kind and nature. In such a case, MIT will provide you with written notice of such claim, suit or action.
12. These terms and conditions constitute the entire agreement between you and MIT with respect to your use of the Site, superseding any prior agreements between you and MIT regarding your use of the Site. The failure of MIT to exercise or enforce any right or provision of the terms and conditions shall not constitute a waiver of such right or provision. If any provision of the terms and conditions is found by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, the parties nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and the other provisions of the terms and conditions remain in full force and effect.
13. You agree that any dispute arising out of or relating to these terms and conditions or any content posted to a Site will be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, excluding its conflicts of law provisions. You further consent to the personal jurisdiction of and exclusive venue in the federal and state courts located in and serving Boston, Massachusetts as the legal forum for any such dispute.