Climate Career Pledge: Join the conversation!
Many people feel disempowered when it comes to fighting climate change. Yet individual actions, when considered collectively, are critical in tipping the scales toward bold climate action. Career choices remain a unique but under-utilized way for people to perform climate-conscious decision-making to advocate for sustainability.
To better empower climate-conscious individuals, we've started a Climate Career Pledge at MIT; learn more at careerpledge.mit.edu. Here on ClimateX, we're opening a forum for discussion about the intersection of careers with climate change, inspired partially by the Career Pledge, but also by the broader desire to explore this intersection with a community beyond MIT.
So, even if you're not an MIT affiliate, we invite you to join the conversation about careers and climate change. (If you'd also like to sign the Pledge, you can do so at careerpledge.mit.edu.) Discuss how you prioritize the climate when making career decisions. In particular, we hope to connect students and alumni to foster community around what it means to lead a climate-friendly career. No need to sign the pledge to join as a member of this team (though we hope you'll consider it!).
Due to MIT's close ties with industry and the career focus of many students, we recognized that careers offered an opportunity to galvanize climate-conscious students and alumni to advocate for climate change mitigation and sustainability in a way they might not have considered previously -- through their careers. Toward that end, we have three main Pledge goals:
(1) Leverage MIT’s relationships with industry to encourage bolder action on climate and sustainability.
- Clearly communicate the MIT community’s values related to climate and sustainability to potential employers, aimed at influencing their behavior and employee recruitment strategies.
(2) Vocalize public support of MIT community members’ advocacy of climate and sustainability efforts within industry.
- Utilize MIT’s reputation to endorse strong climate action.
(3) Allow individuals to make personal commitments to become climate champions, improving the leadership potential of future graduates and current alumni.
- Empower the MIT community to better influence industry “from the inside” toward climate and sustainability goals.
- Inspire members of the MIT community to rethink what they can do personally to help advocate for climate action in general.
The Climate Career Pledge is a project of Fossil Free MIT. Are you interested in starting a Pledge at your institution/company? Have another question about the Climate Career Pledge? Contact the team at firstname.lastname@example.org.