What do professionals chat about at social gatherings?
There was a summer social recently where members of APEGBC's Climate Change Advisory Group got together over a beverage. Here's some of the topics that were discussed in no particular order...
- Book recommendation: "Don't Even Think About it" by George Marshall (https://www.amazon.ca/Dont-Even-Think-About-Climate/dp/1620401339)
- Energy efficient windows, solar PV roof top supplies, energy efficiency upgrades, BC Energy Step Code
- Dvelopment of a continuing Professional Development event about phase-out of once-through cooling systems by the Capital Regional District (Victoria) /City of Vancouver
- A philosophical discussion on City of Surrey's coastal flood plain adaptation strategies. AWWA climate change conference discussion.
- Sea-level rise Continuing Professional Development event scheduled for members (Oct 2nd)
- Professional Practice Guidelines on Building Energy Modelling services
- APEGBC Building Airtightness Demonstration Test with BCHousing - Oct 3rd
We also chatted about vacations, environmental migration, 2050 Degrees of change, Ana-Maria T, the band Oasis, this American life, etc. Noting down as minutes of a meeting just in case someone was wondering, "I wish I knew what engineers/geoscientists chat about over a beverage?"
Harshan Radhakrishnan, P.Eng.